Can You Mix Wegovy and Alcohol?
Can I drink alcohol while taking Wegovy? If I can drink, what are the best drinks to have? Do people drink less when on this medication?
These are a few commonly asked questions by people who recently started on this weight loss drug. This blog post will answer them and more.
It’s important to note that everybody has different needs. It is beneficial to talk to your doctor before mixing Wegovy and alcohol.
What Is Wegovy?
Wegovy is a prescription medication used for weight management in adults who are overweight or have obesity.
It contains the active ingredient semaglutide, a GLP-1 receptor agonist that reduces hunger and increases feelings of fullness, ultimately leading to reduced calorie intake and weight loss.
It is a once-weekly injection and is typically used in combination with a reduced-calorie diet and increased physical activity.
Can You Drink Alcohol While Taking Wegovy?
Both semaglutide and alcohol lower blood sugar levels, so there is a concern that combining these two could result in hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) in people with diabetes.
There is also a chance of developing hyperglycemia.
It is best to avoid drinking alcohol if you have uncontrolled diabetes.
But in general, it is safe to drink in moderation if you are a healthy person. According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, moderation means up to one drink per day for women and two drinks per day for men.
It is always a great idea to speak to your doctor to determine if it is safe to drink while taking Wegovy based on your specific information.
Can Alcohol Sabotage Weight Loss Efforts?
There are two ways in which alcohol can sabotage your weight loss efforts.
First, the calories in cocktails and other alcoholic drinks add up quickly! Because Wegovy decreases hunger, you will likely get full quickly while drinking a beachy and creamy drink.
But other types of alcohol can be easily consumed. Thus, you can easily add calories to your day, slowing down weight loss.
Also, alcohol decreases inhibitions, so you may likely go overboard with food and calorie-dense snacks while drinking.
Do Most People Drink Less When on Wegovy?
There is no research exploring alcohol intake in people injecting this drug.
However, anecdotally, some people report less desire to drink.
What Are the Best Drinks to Have?
If you choose to drink, low-calorie and lower-alcohol drinks are recommended for those on a weight loss journey.
- Light beer: a good option for beer drinkers
- Wine spitzer: a mix of wine and sparkling water or soda water, which can reduce the alcohol content and calories per serving
- Hard seltzer: a popular option that contains fewer calories and typically has a lower alcohol content than other alcoholic beverages
- Vodka soda: a simple mix of vodka and soda water with a lemon twist
- Gin and tonic: a classic cocktail made with gin and tonic water
- Skinny margarita: a margarita made with fresh lime juice, tequila, and a splash of orange liqueur, and is lower in calories than a traditional margarita
- Muddled cucumber and mint gin and tonic: a refreshing mix of gin, muddled cucumber, mint, and tonic water
- Skinny mojito: made with fresh lime and stevia instead of sugar
- Low-alcohol liqueurs such as Campari, Aperol, and Cointreau mixed with sparkling water or soda water
- Hard kombucha
By choosing low-calorie drinks, you can still enjoy alcoholic beverages while minimizing the negative health effects that come with excessive alcohol consumption.
Remember that you will be eating less, and alcohol will affect you in a different way.
What to Drink Instead of Alcohol?
If you choose to avoid alcohol, there are many healthy and flavorful alternatives.
Here are some low-calorie alcohol alternatives:
- Kombucha: a fermented tea that is low in calories and contains probiotics and antioxidants. Kombucha might also help with weight loss.
- Flavored sparkling water: a zero-calorie option that can be enjoyed on its own or mixed with a splash of juice or fruit
- Cold-pressed juice: a nutrient-dense option that can be mixed with sparkling water or seltzer to make a low-calorie mocktail
- Coconut water: a hydrating option that is naturally low in calories and rich in electrolytes
- Herbal tea: a calming and soothing option that can be enjoyed hot or cold
- Infused water: a refreshing option that can be made by adding sliced fruit, vegetables, or herbs to water
- Low-alcohol beer: a beer with an alcohol content of 0.5% or less
- Mocktails: non-alcoholic cocktails that can be made with low-calorie mixes, herbs, or sparkling water
By incorporating these low-calorie alternatives into your routine, you can still enjoy flavorful and refreshing beverages without the added calories and negative health effects of alcohol.
Tips for Drinking Alcohol While on Wegovy
It is recommended to avoid drinking alcohol while on Wegovy since it can increase the risk of side effects such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. However, if you choose to consume alcohol while taking Wegovy, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Limit your alcohol intake: It is important to limit your alcohol intake since it can affect your blood sugar levels and increase the risk of side effects.
- Stay hydrated: Alcohol can dehydrate your body, so it is important to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- Avoid sugary drinks: Sugary drinks such as cocktails and mixed drinks can spike your blood sugar levels and counteract the effects of semaglutide. Instead, opt for low-calorie and lower-alcohol drinks.
- Monitor your blood sugar levels: If you choose to consume alcohol, it is important to monitor your blood sugar levels regularly to ensure they stay within a healthy range.
- Be mindful of side effects: Alcohol can exacerbate some of the common side effects of this medication, such as nausea and vomiting. If you experience any of these side effects while drinking alcohol, it is important to stop drinking.
It is always best to consult with your healthcare provider before drinking alcohol while on weight loss medications, as they can provide specific guidance based on your individual needs and medical history.
The Bottom Line
By making smart choices and limiting your alcohol intake while on weight loss medication, you can still enjoy an occasional drink without putting your health at risk.
You might also find the following blogs useful:
What to eat while taking Wegovy
What happens when you stop taking Wegovy
Dr. Su-Nui Escobar is a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist in Miami, FL. She is passionate about helping women over 40 live their best lives through healthy eating and a healthy lifestyle. Su-Nui is a doctor in clinical nutrition, able to translate complicated evidence-based science into practical advice. Su-Nui is the former spokesperson of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.